Welcome to The British Maple!
I’ve thought long and hard about this first post, and indeed the entire purpose of The British Maple.
I have also assumed that every new blogger has the same apprehension. With this in mind, I decided to take the plunge and bank on the kindness of my friends (who will, undoubtedly, be my only audience for quite some time!).
Now to the introductions…do I start with who I am or what I am? I’m always quick to label my existence as a stay at home mum foremost, with any other titles, characteristics or attributes flagging behind in importance.
Instead, let me fire off a few cheeky little factoids so you can surmise for yourself who (or what) I am!
- I am a British gal living Toronto (hence the blog name!)
- Mr. British Maple and I moved here in November 2011, a month after our wedding
- I enjoy all things crafty but am a master at nothing in particular (a common theme you will notice as this blog grows, I’m sure)
- I spent many happy years working in Corporate Social Responsibility BC (Before Children)
- I am now a stay at home mum (already established that, sorry!) to two rambunctious boys – an almost three year old and a 15 month old
- I love to cook but can never get my bolognese to taste the same twice, despite following the same recipe I’ve used for over 10 years
- I’m a dreamer but am too scared to materialise my ambitions for fear of failing, wasting money or realising I am actually rubbish at whatever it is I think I can do!
So why start The British Maple? I have repeatedly found myself falling between two groups, sympathising with seemingly opposing opinions or generally feeling my life is a little bit muddled. After years of trying to ‘fit in’ and over-thinking EVERYTHING, I came to the conclusion that there must be others in the same boat.
So here is that boat! I am your captain, brimming with good intentions and not at all prepared for the choppy waters ahead!
I hope you enjoy reading The British Maple as much as I will enjoy writing it. I am a self-confessed reassurance-seeker so I encourage you to share your thoughts and criticisms with me. In return, I will try my utmost to steer clear of indulgent diarising and keep this blog relevant.
13 thoughts on “Introductions”
Hello British Maple,
I’m Irish Rowan (also known as the Mountain Ash). an Irish fella living in Robin Hood country (England).
I like the simplicity of your post but fully connect with being unable to recreate a dish via the same recipe over my lifetime (and I’m an adult lol)
Morning Mountain Ash! Thanks for your comment. I hope the elusive recipe is tamed soon :o)
Abi, you are as sweet as you are beautiful. Good for you for starting the blog. I look forward to reading it and perhaps we can coordinate a playdate sometime soon. Would love to see your boys!
You’re too kind Tiffany. A playdate would be great, I’ll be in touch
Wait a minute “moved here” does that mean you’re home??
I’m in the UK for Christmas but back in TO this weekend!
Great first blog! Xx
Thanks Sus, long may it continue!
Love it AbI 💜 can’t wait for the next blog xx
Congratulations on your blog. Can’t wait to read what’s coming !