We are all guilty of making snap judgements of people we meet, it’s human nature. Whether our bias is conscious or unconscious we are all susceptible to it; but it’s how we process the bias that truly defines us. If our immediate impression influences too heavily our subsequent actions then aren’t we effectively shackling our own experiences? Consider how much we would miss out on if we only ever did what was inherently comfortable?
A few days ago I had coffee with a good friend. She’s a relatively new friend and someone who I see frequently but never on a one to one. She’s bright, engaging, confident and fun to be around so I was truly looking forward to sitting across a table from her.
If I’m being honest, I was selfishly anticipating taking much more away from the date than she would. I was hoping to tap into her experience and wisdom to help me make some decisions about my own life once both kids are safely ensconced in the school system. Continue reading
Oooh…did that click-bait title catch your attention?! Of course I haven’t actually won an actual award but I have been invited to take part in my first blogosphere blog challenge (well, she was emotionally coerced into inviting me!)
The Sunshine Blogger Award has been graciously awarded to me by Cécile, the brains and beauty behind the awesome The French Mummy blog. Awarded, in her humble opinion, to people who deserve an award so I am basking in the (undeserving) glory of her niceness – yay me!!
Before I begin my challenge, I apologise to my non-blogging readers for going all bloggy on you (I think I’ve done pretty well to avoid doing so, up to now!) but this is too good a challenge to pass up.
Although many of you know a lot about me, this will give you a better insight into the inner workings (or not-workings) of The British Maple’s mind!
*The rules for the challenge are at the end of this post.*
- What do you love most about the UK?
I love the countryside, the proximity to family and friends and the humungous variety of crisp flavours you can get
- Where would you dream to live?
I would love to live in Toronto-On-Sea, England. Where?! Exactly! My dream home would be in Toronto, if Toronto could relocate to the coast of Britain. In essence, my heart is torn between my fondness of all things (and people) Canadian and my love for my home country and all its people too!
- What is your favourite thing about Frenchie people, except the Frenchie Mummy Blog bien sûr?
The Frenchie Mummy Blog goes without saying, but my other favourite things about Frenchies are: their beautiful accent, their ability to be sophisticated doing pretty much anything and, in the case my beautiful friend Liz, their charm and loyalty. Ooo, does my love of Rachel Khoo count too?!
- How do you feel when you see a cute baby?
Hmmm, after my ovaries have stopped twitching, I flip between relief that I’m done and a flicker of hope that I may well have number three one day (don’t tell Mr. British Maple)
- You have some money to give to a charity, which one would you choose and why?
This is a tough question. So many deserving charities have played a part in my life but my top three would be:
– The NSPCC because I cannot begin to understand how anyone can hurt a child
– LOROS Hospice because everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and compassion when they are reaching the end of your journey
– Shelter because in today’s Britain, there is no need for anyone to not have a roof over their head
- How long can you live without your phone? Be honest!
No very long! I managed without a smartphone for a few weeks when we first moved back to the UK and quite enjoyed the liberty; but I won’t be giving mine up again for a while.
- What is your favourite childhood memory?
We used to visit a beautiful cottage in Bude, Cornwall as a family. I loved its nooks and crannies and used to pretend I was part of the Famous Five!
- What is your favourite British artist? It can be any: a singer, a group…
I like me a bit of Ed Sheeran but Take That have ruled my world for decades!
- Share a secret you never said to anyone with us!
I hate ordering takeaways over the phone! It makes me panic so much that I usually have to run the whole conversation through my head several times before I dial!
- What is your worst habit?
I’m pretty messy. I have grand plans to one day be tidy, but so far they still remain a Pinterest dream!
Thanks again for the award The Frenchie Mummy Blog, I really enjoyed completing it. x
My Sunshine Blogger Award Nominations
I am totally punching above my weight with some of my blogging BFFs (so much so they don’t even know they are my blogging BFFs haha) I will nominate them anyway because we all started somewhere! My Sunshine Blogger nominees are:
My Sunshine Bloggers questions
- Why did you start blogging?
- Who was/is your blogging inspiration?
- When and where do you tend to write your blogs?
- If you could have any job, what would it be and why?
- Whose style do you admire and how far off it are you?!
- What does the perfect evening look like to you?
- If you were to throw a dinner party, what would you cook and who would you invite?
- Would you rather eat a tube of Smarties-sized burgers, or a burger-sized Smartie?
- What are your plans for next Wednesday? (I’m not asking you out, don’t worry!)
- If your life had a theme tune, which song would it be?
- Thank the person who nominated you (make sure to link to their blog)
- Answer your nominator’s questions
- Nominate other bloggers (again, make sure to link to their blog)
- Write the same amount of questions for the bloggers you have nominated
- Let them know you want them to answer the questions!
My beautiful and talented sister-in-law has started the amazing Unsung London on Instagram.p
Here is a sample of her fabulous photos but please follow her to check out the rest!
That is all.